Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Five days in the Scottish Highlands


Urquhart Castle
Originally uploaded by adrianhind
To kick off my time in the UK, I went up to the Scottish Highlands for a few days of hiking and sightseeing.

The Man in Seat Sixty-One had given me the tip-off on the Caledonian Sleeper, a very comfortable overnight train from London's Euston station to Fort William, complete with single sleeper cabins, and a classy lounge carriage with a good range of whiskies on the menu.

I did the hosteling thing again, for the first time in about nine years; lamented the fact that it rained pretty heavily almost non-stop for the first three days, preventing my attempt at the summit of Ben Nevis; hired a dodgy rental car and drove to the Isle of Skye; visited the Talisker distillery (yum!); did some hiking in the Cuillins; and saw Urquhart Castle (pictured) and Loch Ness.

Full set of photos in the Scottish Highlands 2009 set on Flickr.

No comments: