Monday, December 24, 2001

'Twas the night before Christmas...

Went to the St Kilda post office this afternoon to send off some birthday presents (yes, people "do" have birthdays around this time of year). Everything was so quiet. No queues. No stressed postal workers. Amazing relaxing. It all felt quite surreal, kind of like the lull before the storm, as such.


I don't have many Christmas traditions. Having lived in 3 different Australian cities, and with parents that separated when I was pretty young, my Christmas experiences have varied somewhat over the years. This year I'm spending Christmas in Melbourne with my father's side of the family, my mother will be in Bali, my step-father in Jakarta, and my sister in Florida, so we're definitely all over the place.

I'll have to wait at least another year before I can experience a Melbourne NYE though - I'll be heading up to Sydney later in the week for a few parties, some golf, and even a bit of camping. New Year's Eve in Sydney is always a huge event. I've normally avoided the big nightclub events like mobilehome, and instead either hosted or attended house parties on or around the harbour. This year, I think I'll be in Kirribilli somewhere ... still to be confirmed.

No comments: