Wednesday, December 04, 2002

The Current State of Recruitment at New York Investment Banks

I was having a chat with an M&A banker from one of the most prestiguous investment banks last week. Apparently the recruitment scene is so bad right now that people who used to be Analysts and have spent two years at business school are applying to be Analysts again, because the few Associate positions that are opening up this year have pretty much been allocated to people who did really well on their summer internships.

The whole recruitment scene here at Columbia is pretty surreal. I am surrounded by some truly brilliant people, and very few of them have managed to secure employment yet.

It's going to be just as challenging when I return to Melbourne in January to start the whole recruitment process myself. Aaargh - I shouldn't be thinking about this now. Must get my Columbia term papers and exams out of the way first.

No comments: