Saturday, March 06, 2004

Domestic Airline Price Wars

The challenge: flying Sydney to Melbourne and return for the AFL Grand Final on Sat Sept 25th (first flight out, last flight home), six months in advance, no major sales/promotions in progress

Qantas: Outbound $86 @ 8:30am, Inbound $92 @ 8:30pm

Jetstar: Outbound $59 @ 6:00am (+$2 credit card surchage), Inbound $59 @ 9:05pm (+$2 credit card surcharge)

Virgin Blue: Outbound $89 @ 6:15am, Inbound $89 @ 9:15pm

The verdict: Jetstar to Avalon cheapest by approx $60 overall. Qantas and Virgin Blue flights to Tullamarine basically equivalent in price if booked directly. Similar pricing when booked indirectly via Webjet.

Of course, while it is true that I'm planning on going to the AFL Grand Final this year (enjoying the benefits of full MCC membership), I don't know what my plans for work in September at this stage, so there's no way I can actually book these low price airfares so far in advance. I love the economics of airline pricing ... maybe I should look into pursuing it as a career...

No comments: