Sunday, October 08, 2000

8 days to go

My trip to the US is creeping up on me very quickly, but I'm fairly certain I'm going to be ready for it. Even though I may have only started this weblog two weeks before my departure, this trip has actually been in the planning stages for at least 12 months. At the same time though, I've been involved in a couple of projects at work which have involved heaps of interstate travel. So, it's been difficult to get excited about an upcoming 'road trip' when you're on the road 50% of the time already. In 1999 I clocked up 56 flights, a personal record. So far in 2000, I've 'only' made 36 flights. I have at least 15 flights booked for my US trip, so again, it looks like I'll exceed 50 flights in a year.

Fortunately, I'm spending my final two weeks at home in Sydney. This has given me time to get my life in order, pack up most of the things in my house, and catch up with my friends one last time while I can still call myself a Sydneysider. When I get back from the US, I'm planning to move to Melbourne (same company, same job, just based in a different location). The last time I moved interstate was eight years ago, when I 'left home' in Darwin, and moved to Sydney for university. I had about two boxes of clothes and books that time, and the move was relatively painless (logistically). Eight years of personal growth and junk accumulation, and I now have about 15 - 20 boxes of 'things' plus half a household of furniture.

No comments: