Saturday, October 28, 2000

San Francisco

Woo hoo! Just arrived in San Fran. The hostel I'm staying in is a bit of a dive, but it'll suffice. First impressions of San Fran (I've only been here 6 hours) - I like this place. The people are friendly, the city has trams, there's heaps of historical culture, and the coffee in good. In some ways the city reminds me of Sydney. I'll be here for a week - more detailed updates over the new few days.


I had an extra day in Palm Springs at the end of the conference, and used the opportunity to take a ride on the Aerial Tramway. It's essentially a big carriage that gets carried up from the desert floor to the mountain range on a cable. The view is absolutely fantastic, and it's made even better by the fact that the floor of the tram rotates as the journey progresses. Stark contrast - at the bottom of the ride you're in the desert, and it's about 25 degrees. At the top of the ride you're in the mountains and it's almost zero and snowing. Cool.

No comments: