Sunday, October 08, 2000

The value of seeing televised sport live

Idiots! Channel 9 normally televise the Formula 1 Grand Prix events live. With the time difference between Australia and Europe, this means that the race usually starts around 11:00pm on a Sunday night. This afternoon, however, the Grand Prix is in Japan. Woo hoo! I thought - the race will be on at a reasonable hour (4:30pm), and I'll hopefully be able to see Schumacher take home the championship before dinner. But no, for some stupid reason - Channel 9 are showing 'The Neverending Story II' and some documentary about Loch Ness. The race isn't being shown until 11:35pm. Personally, I get much more value out of watching a sporting event as it happens. The whole delayed telecast thing just doesn't appeal to me. My solution - I'm 'watching' it on the internet. formula1.com have a popup window with blow-by-blow text descriptions of the race. Not quite the same, but at least there's no cigarette advertising ;-)

No comments: