Saturday, June 01, 2002

Consulting interview preparation

The conversion process from IT Consultant to Management Consultant is a costly one, both in terms of time and $$$. Case Interview practice sessions, resume writing, covers letters, countless informal discussions with people 'in the industry', new shirts, new ties, new shoes, cuff links, executive folders, and general stress and anxiety. I definitely have an interesting couple of weeks ahead of me.

All my applications will be in by Monday. Then first, second, and third round interviews all take place over a two week timeframe. I'm not sure whether I'm capable of getting an offer at this stage. I'm up against some pretty tough competition, and the industry's still fairly shakey, so it's possible they won't be taking on that many people here in Melbourne. I've decided to apply to five of the six firms that presented on campus last week: L.E.K. Consulting, Boston Consulting Group, Booz Allen Hamilton, McKinsey & Company, and Bain International. All of them are in the general field of management consulting, but they do tend to vary in terms of size, types of works, and methods of billing.

No comments: