Sunday, August 18, 2002

Playing with the BOSS

Subject selection at Columbia uses a fairly involved bidding system known as BOSS (Business Online Subject Selection). Each student is allocated 2250 points, and we have to distribute them amongst the five subjects/professors for which we'd like to enrol. The catch is that some subject are very popular, requiring 1000 points to get in, whereas for others a mere 1 point is required. I can't reveal my points allocation yet, since the bidding is still open and I don't want to be outbid, but the subjects that I've put myself down for are:
  • Advanced Corporate Finance
  • Debt Markets
  • Options Markets
  • Investment Banking, and
  • Introduction to Venturing

It's very finance dominated, I know, but that's intentional. Columbia is pretty much the centre of the finance universe. The people that I'm reading about in the articles and textbooks for my VFA course here in Melbourne actually teach at Columbia (as well as working on Wall Street). If all goes well, I'll come back home a financial genius.

No comments: