Saturday, October 26, 2002

Does the MBA force you to become a morning person?

Coming from a background in the IT industry, I would probably not be shocking people if I told you that I'm by no means a morning person. When I was working in IT back in Australia (especially when I was living the life of a computer programmer) I would struggle to make it to the office by 9:30. The first hour or so would be spent catching up on emails, surfing the web, consuming my first coffee, etc, and I typically wouldn't start any serious work until around 10:30. (Of course, I typically had dinner at the office, and would stay through to around 9:00pm)

I did well in Melbourne during my first two terms to avoid having any MBA classes starting before 8:00am. An 8:00am start at MBS would meaning leaving St Kilda by 7:15 at the latest. Which means getting up around 6:00am (ouch!). Here at Columbia I have one class that starts at 8:15am on Tuesday and Thursdays. The six-minute commute is definitely handy, but I still need to get my gf to give me a wake up call to ensure that I get up on time.

This is something I need to change. As an MBA graduate I'm going to have to be awake and alert in the mornings. Perhaps I should enrol in a bunch of 8:00am classes during my final term at Melbourne, and force myself to change ;-)

No comments: