Wednesday, October 02, 2002

One Hour Photo

It's been a while since I posted a movie review, and there's a few good reasons for that: (1) Columbia MBA students are very busy people; (2) most cinemas in New York do not offer a student concession; and (3) the typical price for seeing a movie in New York is roughly equivalent to $19 Australian (US$10). However, I recently discovered that Columbia Business School have a special deal with a local cinema chain which brings the price down to US$7, so on Saturday night I ventured out to Lincoln Square to see the movie One Hour Photo.

One Hour Photo is one of those movies that truly separates the cinema going public. It is R-rated, yet contains no sex, violence, or drug use. It is intended to be thought provoking - something the average cinema go-er is not usually up for on a Saturday night. If you look through the reviews on the IMDB site you'll find that most people have trouble "getting" this film. The whole point is that it's supposed to be creepy, not sensationalist. I don't want to give the plot away, but I will say that I think Robin Williams is absolutely brilliant in a completely non-comical role, and that I'll think twice about using the same photo shop for any extending period of time.

I give it an 8 out of 10, but it's highly likely you won't agree with me.

No comments: