Sunday, July 08, 2001

Putting words into action

Disclaimer: this blog entry took 36 hours to convert from paper to electronic form ;-)

Ok, it's time for a pragmatic approach to learning new words. For the past three weeks, I've been using the good old flash cards system to help me expand my vocabulary, the theory being that by creating twenty new flash cards a day and continually reviewing those already created, these new words would slowly but surely permeate into my everyday speech and writing. Trouble is, I'm not a creative writer. Most of my writing (and indeed most of my talking) is related to my mercenary day job as an Applications Architect.

The writing section of the GMAT is undoubtedly the primary reason for my trepidation to date. Although it does not count towards the overall score, the results of the Analytical Writing section are released to the schools, so it's important that I do well.

So, let the writing begin!

Ten days until the exam (including four days of work).

Ten random words that I've learnt so far:

aberration, extol, sedulous, rapacious, gainsay, functionary, univocal, pragmatism, stold, moribund (hmmm ... not a good one to finish on)

We all know what pedestrian the noun means, but what about pedestrian the adjective?

Enough for now. Back later...

No comments: