Saturday, April 27, 2002

Higher uni fees in reform proposal

[the age 27.04.2002]

I'll refrain from my own comment on this issue for the moment, except to say that I'm probably one of the few students in the Australian tertiary system happy to cover the full cost of my degree (even if I am taking advantage of the government's new PELS scheme).

My reason for linking to this article was not to bash any union, or spark any debate, but rather to exemplify the media's common tendency to take a quote out of context, and use it as the core of an article. Union leaders are notorious for coming out with brilliant quotes. This time it was NTEU president Carolyn Allport's turn. When describing an education review conducted by Education Minister Brendan Nelson, Allport commented:

"This review is predicated on the idea that universities have to be more like business. Like which business? Like the banks, which provide ever-decreasing services? Like HIH, which went bust? I don't think Australian business necessarily has the answer. Why aren't there more independent voices on this review?"

Carolyn Allport had plenty more to say, as this news article on the NTEU website indicates. Unfortunately the journalist from The Age decided to ignore her other comments, and choose a sensationalist comment instead.

I can see the headlines emerging in my mind: NEWSFLASH ! ! ! Universities closing branches. Students from the bush miss out on education opportunities.

On a separate note, while doing a quick background check on Carolyn Allport, I came across this interesting article regarding a 'graduate tax' that she proposed a couple of years ago. Quick summary: under a graduate tax, university graduates would pay a higher income tax rate (for life) than non-graduates, but would not have to make any other contribution towards the cost of their degree.

No comments: