Sunday, March 31, 2002

Mega Blog

In an effort to make up for the lack of blog entries in the past week, here's my first Mega Blog entry...

MBA update

Firstly, the MBA is still going strong - I aced the Managerial Economics mid-term, and I was pleasantly surprised with my recent Organisations essay result. The focus for the next couple of weeks will be getting our syndicate assignments out of the way (we have four to complete), so that we can get into study mode for the final exams. It's a surprising thought that the first term of my MBA will be completed in just over a month's time.

Family

Easter's also a traditional time for a bit of a family get together, and this time around it's my mother who's in town. She lives in Bali these days, working for a NGO, so I don't get to see her very often. My paternal grandmother is also in town this weekend, staying at my father's place - now that my grandfather has passed away, she has the freedom to travel again. Since they were both in town, I arranged for them to catch up - I think it was the first time they'd seen each other in about fifteen years.

Football

This weekend also marks the opening of the AFL football season for 2002. Armed with my new MCC membership card, I went to the 'G on Friday night to see Richmond destroy Collingwood, and to check out the facilities at the Club - very nice, rather classy, you can even drink beer from a glass ;-) Today I'm taking my syndicate out to the 'G for a Hawthorn-Melbourne game. We're doing an assignment for Quantitative Analysis for Managers about the AFL, so this is actually a bit of a research mission - three of the people in my syndicate have never seen an aussie rules game before. Secretly, I'm trying to convince them all to support Hawthorn...


One of the electives that I'd like to do next term, Product Management, is run in intensive mode (6 hrs / week) over 6 weeks, with sessions on Wednesday nights and Saturday afternoons. Unfortunately, three of the Saturday afternoon sessions clash with Hawthorn games at the 'G. Where should my loyalties lie?

Star Trek

Finally, on the Star Trek front, there's much excitement amongst us Trekkies at the moment regarding the impending release of all the Star Trek TNG episodes on DVD. As the owner of a semi-complete VHS TNG episode collection, I've been at a cross-roads regarding how to handle this situation. Myer came to the rescue this weekend with their Easter sale - in order to clear stock in anticipation of the DVD release they've been selling selected VHS episodes for $6.50 each, rather than the usual $18. The result: I now have 22 additional VHS TNG tapes - plenty of viewing material for my holidays in May.

Woo hoo! Living proof that someone can be a business school student and a geek at the same time.

No comments: