Thursday, September 12, 2002

Columbia Remembers

Well, it's an awkward feeling being in New York on the anniversary of September 11. As I walked to uni this morning, the general feeling of solemnness amongst those around me was incredible. After a brief breakfast and a chat with Mark (my fellow MBS student on exchange here at Columbia), I proceeded to the steps of the Low Library and joined a crowd of over 2,000 for the University's official Remembrance Service, Columbia Remembers. After a minute's silence at 8:46, the University President proceeded to read out the names of the 107 people (alumni, friends, and family) associated with Columbia University that lost their lives one year ago. I felt somehow attached to all of this, and yet, so distant at the same time. At the end of the service, the crowd gradually dispersed, and I returned to the business school to resume my classes. Later in the day, over a period of several hours, current students and staff of the University, read out the names of all the victims, over a period of several hours. This evening, there are candlelight vigils being held across the United States, including a large gathering in Central Park that I (may) attend.

No comments: