Monday, September 02, 2002

Monopoly

At the US Open last night, I was required to store my backpack and carry its contents in a US Open-emblazoned plastic bag. Apparently, this is some form of post-September 11 security paranoia. I'm okay with that, but I was most annoyed when they charged me US$5 to do so. FFS, $5 to store am empty backpack (especially since I didn't end up seeing any tennis at all, due to the washout).

And, once I was inside, 20oz (equivalent to about 600ml) soft drink bottles were priced at US$4. $8 Australia for a soft drink. What is this world coming to. That's not inflation - that's extortion. Of course, an economics professor would start arguing that it's all about WTP, and that there's competition for the monopoly, rather than competition in the monopoly. Maybe, but they didn't get any money from me.

No comments: