Monday, September 09, 2002

Weekend wrap-up

The distinction between weekday and weekend has become a bit of a blur for me over the past few weeks, what with exams, holidays, long flights, decontructing my apartment in Melbourne, setting up my new room in New York, and the like. As such, there's no compelling reason why I should write a 'weekend wrap-up' as such. Instead, let me just tell you about some of the highlights of the past few days. My primary focus since my last class on Thursday has been career management and sleep catch-up. With a multitude of company presentations coming up in the new two weeks, I felt it was time to do some work on my resume (American-ise it so to speak). After five hours work on Friday and Saturday, I now have both a one-page and two-page resume designed for the US market, and well as my original one-page resume for the Australian market. I also prepared three job applications over the weekend: a summer internship with Deutsche Bank in either Sydney or Melbourne, a summer internship with Macquarie Bank in Sydney, and a part-time resume reviewing job with the Careers office here at Columbia. If I get an interview invitation from either of the banks, we'll have to do the interview over the phone.

Today I put the books and the career aside, and went for a stroll through Central Park. The weather is very nice in New York at the moment - around 81 degrees Fahrenheigt every day (which translates to around 27 degrees Celcius for all the non-Americans in the audience, myself included). It wasn't an aimless wander though - my destination was the Guggenheim Museum. They have an exhibition on at the moment called Moving Pictures which definitely had that 'modern art' feel about it - very abstract, lots of bright colours, and a dash of erotica. Interestingly, they also have a Rembrandt on loan from The State Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg. The web graphic (follow the link) doesn't do this painting justice. The realism and condition of this picture (it's over 350 years old!) are absolutely incredible.

No comments: