Saturday, January 26, 2002

Day Five - the end of a big week

Friday turned out to be the longest day of the Orientation Week - a full day of presentations and panel discussions. We were introduced to the case study method, met some alumni, heard about the student honour code, and sexual discrimation policy, and practiced a few exercises to avoid spinal injuries during lectures. Towards the end of the day, one of the professors gave an entertaining and enlightening presentation on the economic history of Australia - most informative, especially for the international students (later on at the bar, the Americans asked me all about the gradual split between the ALP and the ACTU and the current state of privatisation in the country).

Orientation has been pretty amazing. Considering the intensity of the program that's ahead of us, I think the Orientation has been a very valuable experience. I still haven't met everyone in my class, but I've getting to know a good 30 - 40 people reasonably well. Once we break up into cohorts next week (3 groups of around 55), the dynamics of the group will change a bit. I'm just hoping I can keep up with all the social events as we go along, as that's where all the networking happens.

No comments: