Wednesday, January 16, 2002

Workers rejects Qantas deal

[the australian 17.01.02]

I've been fairly quiet on this blog regarding my opinions on unions and industrial action, but no doubt my opinions will gradually surface as I gain some credibility and perspective with my MBA studies.

Qantas is presently reducing its staff numbers through attrition. At the same time they've indicated that they'd like to freeze wages for 18 months while the industry sorts itself out and the economy rebuilds. The Australian Manufacturing Workers Union, representing Qantas' blue collar maintenance workers had negotiated a deal for minor salary increases (6% in total) dependent on achieving productivity targets, a deal which has subsequently been rejected by the workers.

Frankly, I think these workers should consider themselves lucky to have a job at the moment. I'm sure there are plenty of unemployed former Ansett engineers that would jump at the opportunity to come in and take their place at their current salary. If the Qantas workers take industrial action and bring the airline to a halt, I will be furious. There's got to be a better solution.

No comments: